DEGREE REQUIREMENTSFullerton College offers two degrees in Mathematics: An Associate in Science (AS) and an Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T). Students with a degree in mathematics may pursue careers in a variety of industries such as education, finance, insurance, information technology, engineering and operations, manufacturing, consulting, analysis, research, and more. The requirements to earn each of these degrees is detailed below.
The Associate in Science Degree (AS) requirements are:
- Completion of a total of 60 degree applicable units and a grade point average of 2.0 or higher.
- Included in the 60 unit total must be 18 or more units in mathematics related courses.
- Twelve (12) units are in the following required courses:
- An additional six (6) units must be chosen from the following restricted electives:
- CSCI 123 F Introduction to Programming Concepts in C++ (4)
- MATH 171 F Discrete Mathematics (4)
- MATH 172 F Graph Theory and Linear Algebra (4)
- MATH 250BF Linear Algebra and Differential Equations (4)
- MATH 250CF Additional Topics in Linear Algebra (2)
- MATH 120 F Introductory Probability & Statistics (4)
- PHYS 221 F General Physics (4)
- A minimum grade of 'C' is required in all courses taken.
- Fullerton College Associate Degree General Education requirements (24 units) OR
- California State University (CSU) General Education requirements (39 units) OR
- Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) requirements (37-39) units)
The Mathematics Associate in Science Degree for Transfer, also called the Mathematics AS-T Degree, prepares students to transfer to CSU campuses that offer bachelor's degrees in mathematics. Students earning the Mathematics AS-T Degree will be granted priority for admission as a Mathematics major to a local CSU, as determined by the CSU campus to which the student applies (see section titled “Associate of Arts and Associate of Science Degrees for Transfer” on page 1 of the online catalog addendum for more information).
The Mathematics Associates in Science Degree for Transfer (AS-T) requirements are:
- Completion of a total of 60 CSU transferable units including completion of CSU GE or IGETC and a grade point average of 2.0 or higher.
- Included in the 60 unit total must be 18 units in the following required courses: